Tuesday, May 15, 2012

moving away from the screen


this morning my neck aches after staying up until eleven working on online training. a physical reminder that our bodies aren't meant for sitting still for very long, much less for sitting cross-legged in a dimly lit living room staring into a glowing screen mere inches away while the dog is rolled up beside you and your husband flips through the channels.

when nanno passed away, the one thing i told myself was this: in my effort to be more like him (an overachieving and overambitious attempt), i will do more. interact with this pretty world more. lie on more hills. take more long walks. stretch more in the mornings.

nanno grew up without a computer, or television for that matter. one time, his mama made him ride his bike all the way across town to deliver papers that would let his family leave sicily and return to america. weren't you tired? my mom asked. oh no, he responded. i was happy and excited to do it.

i want that motivation. one thing's for sure-i won't find it in front of a screen. i will search for it deep in the recesses of my favorite coffee shop, in that corner booth that's always empty at just the right time during my lunch break. i will search in the morning, when the rain has lifted and a cloud hangs over the garden like cotton candy. i'll search in the evening, when the field out back is sage green and glowing. or maybe in late afternoon, when every car that passes is filled with someone living out their story.

i'll search, and in the searching, i'll move. my joints will pop with the surprise of a new action. i'll be sore and it will be hard to get up some mornings. but i've got to do it. for my health, my sanity, and for nanno. for the uncanny belief that there's a world to be devoured, and it starts by looking up from the screen.

14 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a wonderful lesson you learned from him. I am so guilty of getting caught up in "the screen." I really need to work on that!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Brittany said...

I know just what you mean. I try to take breaks from my screens during the weekend, but I usually fail. It's such a great feeling to DO things, like you said. Days feel so much more productive.

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

Such an awesome lesson to learn! This is something I work on a lot. Over the past months I've discovered if I don't pick up my computer on the weekends, I'm a much happier and productive person. We can all benifit from time away from backlight.

annaKristianne said...

Dearest Courtney,

There's a poem that really pulled my heartstrings the other day, and it reminded me of your nanno.

I wrote about it on my blog: http://imlovedmylifesbegun.blogspot.com/2012/05/voyagers-song.html

Love you so much!

-Anna

annaKristianne said...

You're absolutely right. There's so much beauty and moments to cherish away from the screen. I love your nanno, Courtney. He's such a blessing!

erika said...

A great resolution.

Janette said...

" a world to be devoured..." Well put, friend! I really like that. A lot! I want that to be my motto. So many times I feel stuck, in a rut, afraid to move forward for fear of failing at life. I know that makes no sense..But indeed! There is a world to be devoured. And I'm grateful for your reminder...

Love you and your words tons,
Janette, the Jongleur

Dee Paulino said...

nicely said, there's so much beauty in the world. thanks for reminding me to go away and live a little. and, thank for introducing us to Nanno. he's so inspiring!

A Life Un-Styled said...

It's so easy to get caught up in things staring at a screen all day. I like you idea of taking a break and living and experiencing new things. I hope you find what you're looking for :)

Kira said...

A great reminder as I sit here on my computer watching my husband and daughter play. Maybe I should shut this thing off :)

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I agree- less screen time- for me that has meant getting better about SHUTTING DOWN my computer when I'm not using it- then I don't drift onto it to kill time and end up spending more time on it-

Valerie said...

I definitely share this sentiment - thank you for the reminder :)

kate said...

thank you so much for this reminder. this was brilliant <3 so much good lies just outside our window. the hardest part of getting up to devour it! love this my dear.

jackie said...

i never though of it that way- that motivation cannot be found behind a screen. maybe to some, it can, but not to me, and not to you.

i think that moving away from the screen is a good place to be.

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by! have a blessed day:)