Tuesday, October 4, 2011

everything...by amber blue bird

Today's post comes from the lovely amber blue bird, who found her lasting inspiration beneath the city lights:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all began with an elegantly dressed Aubrey Hepburn casually eating a croissant in front of the world famous Tiffanys.  This simple yet decadent scene is what prompted my heart to flutter about for all things New York and thus began my plan to move to the Big Apple.  Being just a small town girl from Texas, this move was met with big eyed stares from my family and friends, but after years of pining the dream finally came true. 

On a warm September day, I boarded a flight (my first flight ever in my eighteen years of existence) and landed in that magical city to attend Pace University.  It was here that I learned one of many lessons, the first being what true friendship means.  I met my close knit circle of friends the first day of college and we remain inseparable.  From these girls I learned that an open ear can soothe all your problems, that honesty creates the strongest of friendships, ice cream is calorie free as long as you eat it out of the carton, and the only cure for a hangover is another night out.

New York also taught me what love is.  I met my now husband Kevin on our second day at college and we have been an item ever since (nine years to be exact).  We held hands for the first time on the Brooklyn Bridge, found “our” restaurant in Little Italy, and got engaged under the Christmas tree in Rockefeller center.  I learned what it feels like to be unconditionally loved, that in every argument there is a lesson to be learned, and leaving dirty socks on the floor even though the hamper is only three feet away is no reason to throw said socks in the trash.

New York really did become my ultimate teacher.  I truly believe that I discovered myself under its towering skyscrapers.  As my time in New York progressed so did my self confidence.  I learned that inside myself I held a confidence that could not be deterred, that I was a take charge kind of lady, that nothing is more important than your family and friends, and that my humor was the stuff of legends.   I learned all this and then some under those bright lights of New York City.
-
thank you, amber! be sure to check out her funny and fashionable blog!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the absolute truth! "I learned that an open ear can soothe all your problems, that honesty creates the strongest of friendships, ice cream is calorie free as long as you eat it out of the carton, and the only cure for a hangover is another night out."

I've only been to New York once, when I was twelve, on a family road trip in the Winnebago driving in downtown Manhattan. (Mind as well use an air horn and shout at the top of our lungs, tourist here!) Needless to say, I would love to go back and experience it in a different light.

Thanks for sharing!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

That was lovely. I completely agree, humor is one of the most important parts of a happy life :)

Anonymous said...

Aww so adorable! I'm a sucker for love stories :)

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Great post Amber! I have such a soft spot in my heart for New York....I even named my baby Hudson after the Hudson River. ;)

cb said...

amber you are amazing! i loved this post, a bit different then your normal banter and i love getting to know you more and more...although there were times i did throw up in my mouth....hahah had to get your back, lady! hehehehehe so glad you moved to ny and became the lady you are today!
xo,
cb

Christianna said...

Amber, I loved this! It was great to get to know you more, and I understand what you are saying about New York!

Kristen said...

aww love this little insight into your life, Amber. congrats on nine years!

Shady Del Knight said...

First when there's nothing
but a slow glowing dream
that your fear seems to hide
deep inside your mind.

All alone I have cried
silent tears full of pride
in a world made of steel,
made of stone.

Well, I hear the music,
close my eyes, feel the rhythm,
wrap around, take a hold
of my heart.

What a feeling.
Bein's believin'.
I can have it all, now I'm dancing for my life.
Take your passion
and make it happen.
Pictures come alive, you can dance right through your life.

You are something special, Amber Blue Bird. You are living a fairy tale. Never one to be timid and shy, you dared to dream big. You took your passion and made it happen.

You are an absolute delight, Amber. You have been a fiercely loyal friend to me and I can't begin tell you what that means. Your wedding picture captures all that love should be. The portrait of you with your happy little family, Kevin and Oliver, melts my heart. I'm rooting for you, Amber Blue Bird! If you decide to run for president I'm voting for you. I can count on one hand the number of people in this world that I admire more than you, my dear friend. In fact, I can count them on one finger.

Unknown said...

Amber, you're so awesome!

erika said...

Great post!

Kaylia Payne said...

How wonderful! The parts about meeting your husband were so magical, it sounds like the most amazing place.

Emily said...

I love this! its making me think about where i learned the most important things! NYC is pretty amazing I can definitely understand how someone learns alot there

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by! have a blessed day:)